SYDNEY – Sydney is set for a blockbuster racing carnival this year as the best thoroughbreds compete for $18 million in prize money during the Sydney Carnival, held from 19 March – 23 April 2011.
Showcasing a transformed brand supported by major partners Racing NSW, Events NSW, Australian Turf Club (ATC), Inglis and TAB, Sydney Carnival brings together all that is thrilling in the glamorous and highly competitive world of thoroughbreds.
This high quality, high stakes and high fashion racing event provides an exciting day out for everyone – whether your focus be the world’s richest race for two year olds at Rosehill Gardens on AAMI Golden Slipper Day, the famous Inglis Australian Easter Yearling sale where local and international buyers bid for the next generation of champions, or the glamour of the 150th AJC Australian Derby at Royal Randwick.
The first three weekends of the Carnival sees the action taking place at Rosehill Gardens.
Saturday 19 March
* The opening day of the Sydney Carnival, Myer Ladies Day is all about style and glamour while out on the turf all eyes will be on Sydney’s richest race for fillies and mares, the Coolmore Classic and the Ranvet Stakes.
Saturday 26 March
* Rosehill Guineas Day is a chance for you and your mates to go racing on a relaxed but stylish day out. See Australia’s finest thoroughbreds take on each other in search of success in the $500,000 Group 1 Rosehill Guineas.
Saturday April 2
* AAMI Golden Slipper Day is the racing event of the year featuring the world’s richest race for two-year-olds, the $3.5m AAMI Golden Slipper. Slipper Day is the richest day of racing on the Australian calendar. Also featuring $2.25m The BMW, Australia’s premier weight for age race over 2400m.
Attention then turns to the historic Newmarket stables in Randwick where the Inglis Australian Easter Yearling Sale will take place.
Tuesday April 5 – Thursday April 7
* The Inglis Australian Easter Yearling Sale draws the who’s who of thoroughbred royalty together each year to compete for the best bred yearlings in the Southern Hemisphere. Witness history in the making as Australian and international buyers bid for their selection of over 500 yearlings – the next generation of champions to grace the turf.
The final three Sydney Carnival events will be hosted at Royal Randwick.
Saturday April 9
* Royal Randwick kicks off with the illustrious David Jones Australian Derby Day. A glamorous international crowd will celebrate 150 years of the AJC Derby at Royal Randwick. Aside from the nine Group race line-up it’s also a huge day in the style stakes – black and white is of course mandatory.
Saturday April 16
* Punters are guaranteed an exceptional day out at the highly anticipated Emirates Doncaster Day. It is another blockbuster day out with a premier line-up featuring the running of the 100th AJC Oaks and the Emirates Doncaster Mile.
Saturday April 23 – Easter Saturday
* Easter Saturday marks the grand finale of the Sydney Carnival at Royal Randwick. Schweppes Sydney Cup Day boasts top-class Group 1 racing, huge prize money, high fashion and an abundance of trackside entertainment for all to enjoy.
Racing NSW Chief Executive, Peter V’landys says, “The new look Sydney Carnival will bring an unprecedented thoroughbred experience to Sydney in 2011. A signature event on the 2011 NSW Events Calendar, the Carnival sits at the heart of Australia’s thoroughbred racing calendar and will be the ultimate thoroughbred racing and sales experience”.