US Welcomed Nearly 6 Million Foreign Visitors in March, 2024

Visitors Traveled to USA in April
5,889,335 Foreign Visitors Traveled to USA in April
Written by Harry Johnson

March 2024 marked the thirty-sixth consecutive month of year-over-year growth in total non-U.S. resident international arrivals to the country.

The latest data from the National Travel and Tourism Office (NTTO) reveals that in March 2024, the total number of international visitors from non-US residents to the United States reached 5,893,360. This marked a 12.6% increase compared to March 2023 and accounted for 94.2% of the total visitor volume reported in March 2019 before the COVID-19 pandemic.

In March 2024, the United States experienced a 25.4% increase in overseas visitor volume, reaching a total of 2,706,146 individuals. This marked the thirty-sixth consecutive month of year-over-year growth in total non-U.S. resident international arrivals to the country. Additionally, March 2024 also saw the thirteenth consecutive month where the number of overseas visitors exceeded 2 million.

Out of the top 20 countries that contribute the most tourists to the United States, Canada experienced a decline in visitor volume in March 2024 compared to March 2023, with a decrease of 3.0%. Canada also had the highest number of international visitor arrivals, followed by Mexico, the United Kingdom, Germany, and Japan. These top 5 countries together made up 65.7% of the total international arrivals.

International Departures from the United States

In March 2024, the number of U.S. citizens departing from the United States to visit other countries continued to rise for the thirty-sixth consecutive month. This marked a significant increase of 15.4% compared to March 2023 and accounted for 107.6% of the total departures recorded in March 2019, before the pandemic. The market share for North America, including Mexico and Canada, stood at 49.1%, while overseas destinations accounted for the remaining 50.9%.

In March, Mexico had the highest number of people leaving the country with a total of 3,620,485 visitors, which accounted for 40.2% of all departures. Additionally, Mexico had a year-on-year increase of 42.7% in visitor volume. On the other hand, Canada experienced a YOY increase of 19.8%. When considering the year-to-date figures, Mexico and the Caribbean together accounted for 55.9% of all international departures made by U.S. citizens. Mexico had a total of 9,832,941 departures, while the Caribbean had 3,024,258 departures.

In March, the European market witnessed 1,500,310 departures from U.S. visitors, making it the second largest market. These departures constituted 16.7% of the total number of departures. Additionally, there was a notable 15.0% increase in outbound visitation to the Caribbean in March 2024 compared to March 2023.

About the author

Harry Johnson

Harry Johnson has been the assignment editor for eTurboNews for mroe than 20 years. He lives in Honolulu, Hawaii, and is originally from Europe. He enjoys writing and covering the news.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x
Share to...