Eurovision 2020 - this year's edition of hugely popular European song contest, was the latest cultural event to fall victim to the coronavirus pandemic. In a statement issued Wednesday, the European Broadcasting Union said that despite exploring\u00a0\u201cmany alternative options\u201d\u00a0to allow the event to go ahead as planned,\u00a0\u201cthe uncertainty created by the spread of Covid-19 throughout Europe \u2013 and the restrictions put in place by the governments of the participating broadcasters and the Dutch authorities \u2013 means the EBU has taken the difficult decision that it is impossible to continue with the live event.\u201d An estimated 182 million people watched last year\u2019s song contest, and 41 countries took part. The 2020 competition was scheduled to be held in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, across a series of knock-out stages from May 12 before culminating in the final on May 16. The EBU says it\u00a0\u201cwill continue a conversation\u201d\u00a0with the city of Rotterdam about hosting the event next year instead. Earlier on Wednesday, the organizers of the Glastonbury music festival said they were also calling the event off this year.