Minister: Chinese tourism to Malaysia set to double

0a1_515
0a1_515
Written by Linda Hohnholz

KOTA KINABALU, Malaysia – Malaysia’s tourism sector is expected to see a further upswing this year, with visitors from China alone set to double to two million, Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Ti

KOTA KINABALU, Malaysia – Malaysia’s tourism sector is expected to see a further upswing this year, with visitors from China alone set to double to two million, Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said.

He said that with many of these tourists heading to Sabah, his ministry encouraged more international airlines to fly into the state.

The MCA president added that the anticipated increase in arrivals was among the matters discussed between his party deputy Datuk Dr Wee Ka Siong, the Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department, and China Consul General in Sabah, Chen Pei Jie, at a meeting on Saturday.

He said the increased tourist arrivals would bode well for the nation, which faced some major challenges last year after the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 and the crash of Flight MH17 over eastern Ukraine.

“We also had severe flooding in various parts of the country, but we persevered as a nation and overcame these challenges by standing united. We hope things will be better this year,” Liow said at the Sabah MCA open house at Menggatal.

Also present were Sabah Yang di-Pertua Negeri Tun Juhar Mahiruddin, Wee, Deputy Chief Minister Tan Sri Joseph Pairin Kitingan and Rural Development Minister Datuk Shafie Apdal.

Liow said Malaysia would remain an attractive place for tourists and business investors as long as political stability was maintained.

Liow said it was for this reason that MCA was embarking on a campaign promoting moderation.

“We do not want extremism in any form to take root. Otherwise, it will become a national problem.”

Liow later said the report on the MASwings Twin Otter crash in Kudat would be made available to the public soon on his ministry’s website.

“The investigation team has handed its report to us. We have taken the necessary action,” Liow said.

On Oct 10, 2013, MASWings Flight MH3002 from Kota Kinabalu to Kudat crashed into a house in Kampung Sinsan, Kudat, at 2.50pm, killing passenger Tan Ah Chai, 96, and co-pilot Marc Joel Bansh, 23.

To another question on the relocation of AirAsia operations from Kota Kinabalu International Airport’s low-cost carrier terminal to Terminal One, Liow said it would happen in time.

“It is on the final lap and we have had discussions with AirAsia. This move is for the comfort and convenience of all air travellers,” he said.

About the author

Linda Hohnholz

Editor in chief for eTurboNews based in the eTN HQ.

Share to...