Data recently released by the National Travel and Tourism Office (NTTO) show that US-international air traffic passenger enplanements totaled 22.719 million in June 2023 – up 19.0% compared to June 2022, with enplanements reaching 95.4% of pre-pandemic June 2019 volume.
Originating Non-Stop Air Travel in June 2023
• Non-U.S. citizen air passenger arrivals to the United States from foreign countries totaled:
o 4.227 million in June 2023, up 19.7% compared to June 2022.
o This represents 80.2% of pre-pandemic June 2019 volume.
On a related note, overseas visitor arrivals2 totaled 2.551 million in June 2023, the twentieth consecutive month overseas visitor arrivals exceeded 1.0 million. June overseas visitor arrivals reached 73.2% of pre-pandemic June 2019 volume, down from 73.6% in May 2023.
• U.S. citizen air passenger departures from the United States to foreign countries totaled:
o 7.541 million in June 2023, up 18.5% compared to June 2022 and exceeding June 2019 volume by 9.5%.
World Region Highlights in June 2023 (APIS/I-92 arrivals + departures)
• Total air passenger travel (arrivals and departures) between the United States and other countries were led by Mexico (3.336 million), Canada (2.647 million), the United Kingdom (2.060 million), Germany (1.054 million), and the Dominican Republic (998,000).
• International regional air travel to/from the United States:
o Europe totaled 7.424 million passengers, up 15.9% over June 2022, and down only (-7.0%) compared to June 2019.
o South/Central America/Caribbean totaled 5.303 million, up 13.5% over June 2022, and up 3.8% compared to June 2019.
o Asia totaled 2.165 million passengers, up 103.0% over June 2022, but still down (-35.2%) compared to June 2019.
• Top U.S. ports serving international locations were New York (JFK) 3.126 million, Los Angeles (LAX) 2.040 million, Miami (MIA) 1.899 million, Newark (EWR) 1.423 million and San Francisco (SFO) 1.378 million.
• Top Foreign ports serving U.S. locations were London Heathrow (LHR) 1.723 million, Cancun (CUN) 1.205 million, Toronto (YYZ) 1.042 million, Paris (CDG) 825,000, and Frankfurt (FRA) 703,000.