BELLEVUE, WA – Booking data shows that Labor Day weekend 2014 should see a considerable increase in travelers booking air tickets, hotel room and rental cars compared to Labor Day weekend 2013.
Last year AAA reported that Labor Day weekend saw 34.1 million travelers hit the road, the highest number in five years. Expedia data also suggests that Labor Day is becoming an increasingly popular travel option.
In 2014, demand for air tickets over Labor Day weekend has increased 20%, with the majority of travelers departing on Friday, August 29. Demand for hotel rooms is up more than 30% and hotel room rates have increased as well, averaging just over $180 per night over this holiday weekend, up approximately 3% from 2013. While demand for car rentals has increased more than 35%, rental rates are slightly lower this Labor Day weekend indicating there are still good deals to be found.
“The increase in activity is unusual – Labor Day is traditionally more of a ‘stay local’ holiday versus peak summer weekends,” said Sarah Gavin, Expedia Senior Editor. Her top tips for saving over Labor Day Weekend include:
1) Consider off-the-beaten track destinations – the most popular destinations are often the most expensive.
2) Be flexible with your flying schedule – consider flying on Saturday morning or extending your trip through Monday evening.
3) Book your flights and hotels as a package – on Expedia.com, this can save travelers hundreds.
Expedia has analyzed booking data to pinpoint prospective destinations that are yielding the best Labor Day deals. Destinations include:
1) Palm Springs, CA – Hotel rates are down 12% from last year
2) Charleston, SC – Hotel rates are down 10% from last year
3) Virginia Beach, VA – Hotel rates are down nearly 9% from last year
4) Ocean City, MD – Hotels rates are down 4% from last year
5) Austin, TX – Average hotel rates are $177 per night, down 8% from last year
6) New Orleans, LA – Average hotel rates are $172 per night
7) Washington, DC – Average hotel rates are $145 per night
8) Denver, CO – Average hotel rates are $144 per night
The top ten most popular destinations for Labor Day weekend include:
1) Las Vegas, NV
2) Chicago, IL – Hotel bookings are up more than 130% from last year
3) New York City, NY – Hotel rates are down 7% from last year
4) Atlanta, GA
5) San Diego, CA
6) Seattle, WA
7) Orange County, CA
8) Los Angeles, CA
9) Miami, FL
10) Houston, TX – Hotel bookings are up more than 220% from last year and room rates are only $154 per night