ORLANDO, FL – SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment today announced a new responsible food sourcing policy that will mean humanely raised and sustainably harvested food at all 12 parks, including SeaWorld, Busch Gardens and Sesame Place.
“We are committed to responsibly sourcing food for our guests and ambassador team members within our parks,” said SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment President and CEO, Joel Manby. “This announcement builds on SeaWorld’s existing sustainable practice, and this new commitment fulfills goals established with the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) in March of this year.”
“As a company committed to conservation and the welfare of animals, we believe our food procurement can and should reflect a focus on the welfare of animals, a healthier planet and healthier people,” said Chief Procurement Officer Norbert Dean.
There are three new commitments SeaWorld announced:
• By the end of 2016, SeaWorld will purchase all pork cuts, such as ribs and loins, from suppliers who have announced a commitment to humane farming practices like those who have published targets for conversion to group housing for sows;
• All eggs will be sourced from cage-free chickens by the end of 2017 – including shell and liquid eggs
• The company is expanding park menus to include more plant-based options.
The responsible sourcing policy confirms and enhances existing commitments already in place, including:
• A continuing commitment to serving seafood sourced from either sustainably managed fisheries or aquaculture in all park restaurants and catering events, as well as ambassador team dining;
• Sustainable sourcing of fish fed to the fish-eating (piscivorous) animals. This includes purchasing food from responsibly managed fisheries that the company closely reviews for nutritional quality and safety. SeaWorld avoids purchasing fish that have been caught or farmed in ways that harm other marine life or the environment.
• A commitment to source produce from local farms when and where possible;
• A commitment to sustainably source all coffee served to our guests and ambassadors.