The International Star for Leadership in Quality Award recognizes the success of those companies who strive to improve company quality and who pledge to serve as an example within their business community.
Livingstone International University of Tourism Excellence and Business Management (LIUTEBM) in Zambia was chosen as a recipient of this prestigious world award. The International Business Initiative Direction (BID) Award 2012 for quality leadership, technology, management, customer satisfaction, brand name, and business results was awarded to LIUTEBM and received in Paris France on June 25, 2012 by the University Vice Chancellor Dr. Patrick K. Kalifungwa.
The BID International Star for Leadership in Quality Convention was held in Paris, with the 2012 presentation of awards given to companies from 57 countries around the world for achievements in quality and excellence. Livingstone International University of Tourism Excellence and Business Management received the International Star for Quality in Leadership Award in the Gold Category, recognizint it for commitment to quality, leadership, technology, and innovation; this represents success for Zambia in the business world.
LIUTEBM University is committed to the principles of the QC 100 Total Quality Management model, and the university accepts quality as a factor for development to become more competitive. Dr. Kalifungwa said: “We are committed to publicizing this quality culture with lecturers, staff, students, and the community, supported by the QC 100 Total Quality Management Model, the principles of which are that:
1. Quality is a consequence of valuing customer satisfaction and obtaining positive business results.
2. Meet the quality levels established in the university in accordance with the QC 100 Points of Quality.
3. Encourage participation and teamwork for decision making.
4. Satisfy the needs of our students and meet their expectations.
5. Provide human resources, both technical and economic, to achieve continuous improvement and respect for the environment.
6. Manage human resources in our university to achieve the maximum potential.
7. Make lecturers and staff aware of the importance of concentration on the most profitable areas of activity (the core business), to achieve the best business results.
“LIUTEBM was, therefore, presented with an Award in Quality for the outstanding business achievements, for perseverance and leadership in excellence, and quality in accordance with the QC 100 criteria.
“The creation of the TQM QC 100 model is the result of many years of dedication of professionals, specialists in business management, who have worked toward defining the philosophy and the modern concept of quality. Its purpose is to use concrete terminology to transmit the ongoing improvement, which should take place in every area of the company covering everything from a ‘Customer satisfaction culture’ to ‘Business Results Awareness.’
“The concept of quality is explained thoroughly in the BID 100 Points of Quality Program, which gives a detailed approach to permanent supervision of the university efforts focused on achieving excellence. The goal is to create total university awareness in which each and every person is able to “do it better.” In order to achieve this goal, we must accept the commitment to fulfill the guidelines set by the BID 100 Points of Quality. Effective communication is the most important aspect of the BID 100 Points.
“We wish to share with you the guiding principles of TQM which are that:
– Successful Total Quality Management requires both behavioral and cultural change.
– A successful Total Quality Management System brings other management systems together with a behavioral and cultural commitment to customer quality.
“LIUTEBM University promises to develop the quality culture among our students, community, and stakeholders and the students should conform to the student quality mode.
We wish to impart knowledge, skill, and competence for the students to develop confidence, be relevant, and add value to the economic, social, and political development dispensation of our country.”