Tel Aviv court orders extension of comatose tourist’s detention

Read us | Listen to us | Watch us |Events| Subscribe | Our Social Media|

Afrikaans Afrikaans Albanian Albanian Amharic Amharic Arabic Arabic Armenian Armenian Azerbaijani Azerbaijani Basque Basque Belarusian Belarusian Bengali Bengali Bosnian Bosnian Bulgarian Bulgarian Cebuano Cebuano Chichewa Chichewa Chinese (Simplified) Chinese (Simplified) Corsican Corsican Croatian Croatian Czech Czech Dutch Dutch English English Esperanto Esperanto Estonian Estonian Filipino Filipino Finnish Finnish French French Frisian Frisian Galician Galician Georgian Georgian German German Greek Greek Gujarati Gujarati Haitian Creole Haitian Creole Hausa Hausa Hawaiian Hawaiian Hebrew Hebrew Hindi Hindi Hmong Hmong Hungarian Hungarian Icelandic Icelandic Igbo Igbo Indonesian Indonesian Italian Italian Japanese Japanese Javanese Javanese Kannada Kannada Kazakh Kazakh Khmer Khmer Korean Korean Kurdish (Kurmanji) Kurdish (Kurmanji) Kyrgyz Kyrgyz Lao Lao Latin Latin Latvian Latvian Lithuanian Lithuanian Luxembourgish Luxembourgish Macedonian Macedonian Malagasy Malagasy Malay Malay Malayalam Malayalam Maltese Maltese Maori Maori Marathi Marathi Mongolian Mongolian Myanmar (Burmese) Myanmar (Burmese) Nepali Nepali Norwegian Norwegian Pashto Pashto Persian Persian Polish Polish Portuguese Portuguese Punjabi Punjabi Romanian Romanian Russian Russian Samoan Samoan Scottish Gaelic Scottish Gaelic Serbian Serbian Sesotho Sesotho Shona Shona Sindhi Sindhi Sinhala Sinhala Slovak Slovak Slovenian Slovenian Somali Somali Spanish Spanish Sudanese Sudanese Swahili Swahili Swedish Swedish Tajik Tajik Tamil Tamil Thai Thai Turkish Turkish Ukrainian Ukrainian Urdu Urdu Uzbek Uzbek Vietnamese Vietnamese Xhosa Xhosa Yiddish Yiddish Zulu Zulu
Written by editor

For second time, Tel Aviv court extends remand for the comatose tourist shot by police in Bat Yam.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

For second time, Tel Aviv court extends remand for the comatose tourist shot by police in Bat Yam.

The Tel Aviv Magistrate’s Court ruled on Sunday to extend for the second time the remand of a Dutch national whom police shot during an incident in Bat Yam last week.

Bo Schimmelpfennig, 32, remains in a coma in Holon’s Wolfson Hospital after the shooting on April 9. Judge Limor Margolin-Yehidi ordered his detention to be extended for a further two days.

Police allege Schimmelpfennig attacked them after a family he was staying with in Bat Yam called them complaining the Dutch tourist threatened to kill Jews.

Schimmelpfennig is suspected of attempting to cause grievous bodily harm, disturbing and obstructing a police officer, threats and disorderly conduct.

A day after the incident, the Tel Aviv Magistrate’s Court refused to extend Schimmelpfennig’s detention because police failed to file any official report from the incident. However, on April 11, the court ruled again to remand Schimmelpfennig in custody until Sunday.

In Sunday’s hearing, a police representative said Schimmelpfennig tried to harm police officers called to the Bat Yam house, and noted that police had filed evidence to the court from everyone who attended the event, including Magen David Adom crews and police officers.

The police representative said it was “hard to contain” Schimmelpfennig, who reportedly used unreasonable force.

“The suspicious behavior led to the shooting that occurred,” the police representative said.

However, Schimmelpfennig’s attorney, Shay Tovim, told the court that the Dutch tourist has no history of violence and that he had been a lone tourist in Israel. Tovim noted that he had spoken to Schimmelpfennig’s brother, Benjamin, who has since traveled to Israel to monitor the case.

Tovim said there had been a “lack of proportion” between the events of the incident and the police response, which could have cost Schimmelpfennig his life.

On April 11, the court ordered the Dutch national to undergo a preliminary psychiatric observation, however that has not been done because Schimmelpfennig is still unconscious, the court learned.

Judge Margolin-Yehidi said that after examining the evidence, she found there is reasonable suspicion against Schimmelpfennig and therefore grounds to continue his arrest, however she agreed with Schimmelpfennig’s defense that he should not be remanded for five more days, as police requested.

The court said that the police investigation of Schimmelpfennig will be carried out in the presence of a Dutch interpreter.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email