Auto Draft

Read us | Listen to us | Watch us | Join Live Events | Turn Off Ads | Live |

Click on your language to translate this article:

Afrikaans Afrikaans Albanian Albanian Amharic Amharic Arabic Arabic Armenian Armenian Azerbaijani Azerbaijani Basque Basque Belarusian Belarusian Bengali Bengali Bosnian Bosnian Bulgarian Bulgarian Catalan Catalan Cebuano Cebuano Chichewa Chichewa Chinese (Simplified) Chinese (Simplified) Chinese (Traditional) Chinese (Traditional) Corsican Corsican Croatian Croatian Czech Czech Danish Danish Dutch Dutch English English Esperanto Esperanto Estonian Estonian Filipino Filipino Finnish Finnish French French Frisian Frisian Galician Galician Georgian Georgian German German Greek Greek Gujarati Gujarati Haitian Creole Haitian Creole Hausa Hausa Hawaiian Hawaiian Hebrew Hebrew Hindi Hindi Hmong Hmong Hungarian Hungarian Icelandic Icelandic Igbo Igbo Indonesian Indonesian Irish Irish Italian Italian Japanese Japanese Javanese Javanese Kannada Kannada Kazakh Kazakh Khmer Khmer Korean Korean Kurdish (Kurmanji) Kurdish (Kurmanji) Kyrgyz Kyrgyz Lao Lao Latin Latin Latvian Latvian Lithuanian Lithuanian Luxembourgish Luxembourgish Macedonian Macedonian Malagasy Malagasy Malay Malay Malayalam Malayalam Maltese Maltese Maori Maori Marathi Marathi Mongolian Mongolian Myanmar (Burmese) Myanmar (Burmese) Nepali Nepali Norwegian Norwegian Pashto Pashto Persian Persian Polish Polish Portuguese Portuguese Punjabi Punjabi Romanian Romanian Russian Russian Samoan Samoan Scottish Gaelic Scottish Gaelic Serbian Serbian Sesotho Sesotho Shona Shona Sindhi Sindhi Sinhala Sinhala Slovak Slovak Slovenian Slovenian Somali Somali Spanish Spanish Sudanese Sudanese Swahili Swahili Swedish Swedish Tajik Tajik Tamil Tamil Telugu Telugu Thai Thai Turkish Turkish Ukrainian Ukrainian Urdu Urdu Uzbek Uzbek Vietnamese Vietnamese Welsh Welsh Xhosa Xhosa Yiddish Yiddish Yoruba Yoruba Zulu Zulu

NTSB: Planes came within one tenth of a mile of each other

Written by editor

Washington – Acting at the request of an air traffic controller, the pilot of a Southwest Airlines B-737 pulled within one-tenth of a mile of a small, four-seat aircraft last month to check on the pil

Washington – Acting at the request of an air traffic controller, the pilot of a Southwest Airlines B-737 pulled within one-tenth of a mile of a small, four-seat aircraft last month to check on the pilot of the smaller plane, who had not responded to radio calls, the National Transportation Safety Board said Friday.

The March 27 incident was publicized days after it happened, when Federal Aviation Administrator Randy Babbitt suspended the air traffic controller, for “compromising the safety” of the planes’ occupants. But the details released Friday for the first time show just how close the two planes came.

According to the NTSB, the planes came within 0.1 miles of each other, far closer then the required separation of three miles. They also were separated by 100 feet in altitude, less than the 1,000 feet required, the NTSB reported.

The incident happened 11,000 feet over central Florida, when controllers at the Central Florida TRACON, a regional radar facility, were unsuccessful in contacting the pilot of the Cirrus SR22, which was en route to Kissimmee, Florida. The plane had been out of radio contact with the Jacksonville Center for more than an hour.

A TRACON controller sought the assistance of Southwest Airlines flight 821, which was then 10 miles from the smaller aircraft, asking the Southwest pilot “to attempt to verify the condition of the occupants” of the Cirrus, the NTSB said. The Southwest pilot “obliged,” and controllers guided the jetliner towards the unresponsive plane. A separate radar scope was set up and a single frequency was used by a front-line manager who provided instructions to the Southwest jet.

When the Southwest jet was about five miles from the smaller plane, the pilot reported seeing the plane visually and on a collision avoidance system. The jet “maneuvered on his own alongside of” the smaller plane, the NTSB said.

The crew reported seeing “two occupants in the Cirrus and no apparent movement from them” before being vectored away to its Orlando destination.

The FAA said both planes landed safely. Southwest Airlines reported in March that it had suspended the pilot of the jetliner pending an investigation.

Both the FAA and NTSB are investigating. Neither has issued any findings or conclusions.

Aviation authorities say the protocol for intercepting unresponsive aircraft is to scramble military jets.

“By placing this passenger aircraft in close proximity to another plane, the air traffic controller compromised the safety of everyone involved,” FAA Administrator Randy Babbitt said in a statement in March.

“This incident was totally inappropriate.” “We are reviewing the air traffic procedures used here and making sure everyone understands the protocols for contacting unresponsive aircraft,” Babbitt said.

Southwest Airlines said the flight had 137 passengers and a crew of five.