Social media and technology plays a great role when it comes to connecting people. It has indeed brought the world closer. When it’s about travelling, most of us like to travel in groups. This actually proves to be beneficial in a number of ways. We travel to different places to enjoy the experience gained. Travelers travelling with other travelers connects and develops a bond over the journey. What is less talked about here is connecting or spending time with the locals. One of the main reasons of travelling to some other region or country is to appreciate the rich culture of the place. When visiting a place, we only a glimpse of their life and culture. But if you wish to dig deep into their lifestyle and culture, you need to connect with the locals out there.
It doesn’t matter whether you are travelling groups or using any advanced technology to explore the place, unless you spend time with the locals you cannot learn more about their way of life and culture. Binding with the locals is the best way to learn about the history and culture of a place. However, being a tourist, it may be difficult for you to get any locals interact with you. In that case, you can rely on Withlocals. It can help you connect with the locals of a particular place easily.
Why connecting with locals should be in your travel to-do-list?
Connecting and spending time with the locals is a must when it comes to exploring a place from it’s roots. No tour guide or agency can help you learn the secrets of a place better than the locals. So if you wish to explore a place right from it’s roots, then you ought to connect with the locals out there. Here are some reasons why connecting with locals can add more to your travel diaries.
- They know the culture the best: Opting for guided tours may be a great way to learn about a country or a place. But if you wish to dig deeper into the culture and the lives of the people, you definitely need to bond with the locals out there. After all, who else can give you a better insight into the culture of the place other than the locals? By spending time with them, you will be able to learn more closely about their culture. You can also take a closer look into their lifestyles. In fact, you can learn things that no guide book or a tour guide can tell you.
- They can get you familiar with the place: It is obvious that local people know the place they live in the best. Mixing around with them can help you explore the place better. They can even get you familiar with the place. In fact, they can prove to be better than the tour guides. This may actually help you save your money as you don’t have to hire a tour guide anymore. Not only that, but you can even learn a lot of important things about the place from the locals. They can tell you how to explore the place better so that you don’t get lost while travelling around. They can even give you an idea of the things that is worth trying around the place.
- They can keep you safe: Safety always come first when you are travelling. It doesn’t matter whether you are travelling solo or in a group, safety is always important. Since, you are a visitor to the place and hardly have any idea about the place you may get into sticky situations at times. One of the many advantages of being with a local is that they can tell you about the places that you should avoid visiting. Also, if there is any unwanted situation, you may take help from the locals to get out of it. For example, if there is any cultural misunderstanding, it is always better to have a local by your side.
- They can help you save money: Yes, it is no joke but bonding with a local can help you save your money in a number of ways. First of all, a local can help you get familiar with the place and therefore, you can eliminate the need to hire a tour guide for exploring the places. not only that, but they can even suggest you with some best local eateries where you don’t have to spend a lot of money to taste the native dishes of the place.
- You can get a lifelong friend: This is actually the best part of connecting with a local while travelling. You can find a lifelong friend in him/her. You meet a person while travelling and you bond with the person during your touring days. This bond could actually last for a lifetime. It is always good to have a friend from a different country or place. You guys could even stay connected over social media or exchange numbers as well.
How To Find A Local To Travel With?
The main question here is that how do you find a local to travel with? Well, there are many ways to find one.
- You can take the help of social media. You can find various groups on Facebook where you can meet with someone belonging from the place you are about to visit.
- There are also various sites and apps that helps traveller connect with the locals of a place. You can get hold of such an app or website and look for someone of your choice.
Well, now you know the benefits of travelling and connecting with a local on your trip. If you wish to explore the culture of a place then connecting with a local is the best way to do so. You can meet a lot of people on the social networking sites who are willing to show you their land.