In 2019, if you don’t take a photo it’s like it never happened. Social platforms like Instagram act as outlets which let us explore places we’ve never seen before – one search of a hashtag and you’ll have everything at your fingertips. But where are the most tagged places in America?
New research from entertainment experts PlayPicks uncovers the most shared locations in the USA, delving into categories from beaches to arenas and festivals, to uncover the most Instagrammable hotspots in the US. Alongside this, PlayPicks ran a survey of the US public to reveal just how reliant the nation is on social media, in particular when it comes to travelling.
Top 5 Most Hashtagged Places in the U.S
Playpicks have scoured Instagram to find the top 20 hashtagged places spanning over nine different categories. These are the top five most hashtagged locations overall in the U.S for Instagrammers:
|Rank||Name of Place||Location in the U.S||No. of Hashtags|
|1||Disneyland Anaheim||Anaheim, California||19,783,733|
|2||Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World||Orlando, Florida||9,400,298|
|3||Miami Beach||Miami, Florida||8,673,724|
|4||Central Park||New York City, New York||6,104,544|
|5||Long Beach||Los Angeles, California||4,551,339|
- Disneyland Anaheim – Not just where dreams come true, but also where hashtags are made. Disneyland was built in 1955 and has since received 19,783,733 Insta shares. Considering the fact that they had an estimated attendance last year of 18.3 million, it’s of no surprise that it’s the most hashtagged location in America. It’s sister park in Florida, Disneyland Magic Kingdom, takes the second spot on the most hashtagged list at 9,400,298 posts.
- Miami Beach – This man-made beach has 8,673,724 shares on Instagram, making it the most Instagrammed beach in the US – and with 15.22 square miles of beautiful, golden sand and relaxation, it’s easy to see why you can’t help but take one for your grid.
- Central Park – One of two of New York’s offerings in the top 10 list (the other being Times Square) is its first major landscape park. The park’s construction started in 1857 and upon its completion, it became one of the most popular tourist destinations – having approximately 40 million visitors a year and 6,104,544 shares on Instagram.
The Influence of Influencers
In the age of the influencer, Instagram has a more direct effect on our everyday choices. PlayPicks surveyed the US public to uncover how much of an influence social media really has on our travel decisions and experiences:
- The majority of male respondents (45%) admitted to taking holiday inspiration solely from influencer posts on social media rather than their friends. Only 22% of women said they would listen to just an influencer, instead 50% would balance their decision based on both friends and influencers.
- Men care the most about getting the perfect snap for the ‘gram – on average, men spend 20.28 minutes getting a picture just right before uploading it, while women spend only 14.67 minutes.
- Although 49% of respondents said they solely take photos for themselves, 26% said they do it for social media – this was preferred over taking snaps for family and friends, which only 24% claimed was their primary reason for documenting their trips.
To explore the rest of America’s favorite social media destinations, search the interactive tool and find the most hashtagged places in America here.