Read us | Listen to us | Watch us | Join Live Events | Turn Off Ads | Live |

Click on your language to translate this article:

Afrikaans Afrikaans Albanian Albanian Amharic Amharic Arabic Arabic Armenian Armenian Azerbaijani Azerbaijani Basque Basque Belarusian Belarusian Bengali Bengali Bosnian Bosnian Bulgarian Bulgarian Catalan Catalan Cebuano Cebuano Chichewa Chichewa Chinese (Simplified) Chinese (Simplified) Chinese (Traditional) Chinese (Traditional) Corsican Corsican Croatian Croatian Czech Czech Danish Danish Dutch Dutch English English Esperanto Esperanto Estonian Estonian Filipino Filipino Finnish Finnish French French Frisian Frisian Galician Galician Georgian Georgian German German Greek Greek Gujarati Gujarati Haitian Creole Haitian Creole Hausa Hausa Hawaiian Hawaiian Hebrew Hebrew Hindi Hindi Hmong Hmong Hungarian Hungarian Icelandic Icelandic Igbo Igbo Indonesian Indonesian Irish Irish Italian Italian Japanese Japanese Javanese Javanese Kannada Kannada Kazakh Kazakh Khmer Khmer Korean Korean Kurdish (Kurmanji) Kurdish (Kurmanji) Kyrgyz Kyrgyz Lao Lao Latin Latin Latvian Latvian Lithuanian Lithuanian Luxembourgish Luxembourgish Macedonian Macedonian Malagasy Malagasy Malay Malay Malayalam Malayalam Maltese Maltese Maori Maori Marathi Marathi Mongolian Mongolian Myanmar (Burmese) Myanmar (Burmese) Nepali Nepali Norwegian Norwegian Pashto Pashto Persian Persian Polish Polish Portuguese Portuguese Punjabi Punjabi Romanian Romanian Russian Russian Samoan Samoan Scottish Gaelic Scottish Gaelic Serbian Serbian Sesotho Sesotho Shona Shona Sindhi Sindhi Sinhala Sinhala Slovak Slovak Slovenian Slovenian Somali Somali Spanish Spanish Sudanese Sudanese Swahili Swahili Swedish Swedish Tajik Tajik Tamil Tamil Telugu Telugu Thai Thai Turkish Turkish Ukrainian Ukrainian Urdu Urdu Uzbek Uzbek Vietnamese Vietnamese Welsh Welsh Xhosa Xhosa Yiddish Yiddish Yoruba Yoruba Zulu Zulu

Tourists, employees, quarantined at Hong Kong’s Metropark Hotel

Written by editor

With the SARS outbreak in 2003 not close to forgotten, Hong Kong authorities have acted decisively and swiftly in response to Asia’s first confirmed case of swine flu.

With the SARS outbreak in 2003 not close to forgotten, Hong Kong authorities have acted decisively and swiftly in response to Asia’s first confirmed case of swine flu. On Friday night, after a 25-year-old man visiting from Mexico was diagnosed with the H1N1 flu, officials shut down the hotel where he was staying, quarantining tourists and employees.

The 200 or so guests and 100 staff have been ordered to stay inside Metropark Hotel in the Wanchai district for seven days, according to a Reuters report. The building is being guarded by masked police officers.

Hotel guest Juliet Keys, who arrived in Hong Kong from Singapore, told Reuters that guests were briefed by health officials, and that she was given a medical check and a 10-day course of Tamiflu.

Though guests’ reactions to the quarantine vary widely in media reports — from occasional humor to frustration and worse — a business traveler from India was apparently not anxious. “I’m not worried, but there are some people who are really panicked,” he told the Associated Press. “We don’t have any books to read. It’s boring, but what can one do?”

The unidentified swine flu victim arrived in Shanghai on AeroMexico Flight 98, and continued to Hong Kong on China Eastern Airlines Flight 505, according to the AP report. The man came down with a fever after arriving in Hong Kong, and is now at a hospital in isolation.

As his footsteps are being traced, officials are still looking for those with whom he may have come into contact. Two taxi drivers who had transported the man, from airport to hotel and then hotel to hospital, have been found and given health checks, and 30 passengers who sat near the patient on the China Eastern Airlines flight are being quarantined, according to the Hong Kong Information Services Department website.