PANAJI – The Goa government on Sunday said that the state is safe for the tourists and two cases related to abuse of foreign tourists “were isolated instances.”
“We will act against the accused with strong hand. But we want to make it clear to the guests that Goa is safe and their safety is our priority,” Goa’s Tourism Minister Fransisco Pacheco said.
Goa, which receives around 24 lakh tourists, of which four lakh are foreigners, registered two different complaints of molestation and rape.
In the first case reported earlier this week, a Russian woman had claimed that a local shack owner tried to molest her while she was on her way back to hotel following which the accused was arrested.
In another case, on Friday, a British woman was allegedly assaulted and raped at the outskirts of Panaji by an unknown person.
Tourism is a major industry in this state famous for its sandy beaches.
“Goa has been receiving foreign tourists for many years now. We have not received such complaints earlier. We are concerned over these two cases and police are on their job,” Pacheco said.
He said the police are keeping special watch on the tourist places, as the season is at its peak.
“There is no reason to worry. Goa is safe and it is our responsibility to ensure that the tourists have pleasurable an memorable holiday here,” Pacheco said.