WestJet announced today it will once again fly its route from Halifax to Gander, Newfoundland, as part of its 2017 summer schedule. The year-round route starts daily on April 30.
“WestJet is committed to providing our eastern guests with enhanced service for both business and leisure travel,” said Bob Cummings, WestJet Executive Vice-President, Commercial. “WestJet began service to Halifax in 2003 to bring choice, competition and connectivity to communities that had been traditionally underserved. We were welcomed with open arms and to this day, we continue to optimize our network out of Halifax Stanfield International Airport. We are confident the route will be well received by those in both Halifax and Gander looking for low fares and caring service when travelling for pleasure or business during this busy summer season.”
“We are pleased WestJet will offer service to Gander this summer,” says Joyce Carter, Halifax International Airport Authority President and CEO. “This daily service strengthens the connections within Atlantic Canada, providing our passengers with additional options and demonstrates WestJet’s confidence in our region.”
“A convenient afternoon departure will provide travellers access to Halifax and connections to WestJet’s robust network beyond, without the early morning rise,” said Reg Wright, President and CEO, Gander International Airport Authority. “Passengers have clearly told us they wanted more afternoon departures, so this is welcome news for Central Newfoundland residents.”
Overall, WestJet’s guests in Atlantic Canada have a total of 31 non-stop routes and 21 different WestJet destinations to choose from. WestJet has increased its capacity out of this region by 75 per cent in the last 10 years and now accounts for 62 per cent of the capacity growth of all of the airlines that serve the Atlantic provinces.
All flights allow WestJet Rewards members the opportunity to earn WestJet dollars to be used towards the payment of a WestJet-marketed flight or a WestJet Vacations package (excluding taxes, fees and charges).
Details of WestJet’s new route:
Route Frequency Departing Arriving Effective
Halifax – Gander Daily 12:05 p.m. 2:19 p.m. April 30, 2017
Gander – Halifax Daily 2:50 p.m. 4:08 p.m. April 30, 2017
As part of its 2017 summer schedule, WestJet also revealed another seasonal route, between Calgary and Nashville, as well as dozens of new flights. The flights will give Canadian travelers more competitively priced options when flying during the peak summer season.
Highlights of WestJet’s 2017 summer schedule include:
• New non-stop twice-weekly service from Calgary to Nashville, Tennessee
• New non-stop daily service from Halifax to Gander, Newfoundland
• Additional flights from Toronto to a number of Canadian and international destinations including Orlando, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Montreal and Moncton.
• An increase of four new weekly flights between Vancouver and Hamilton, as well as the addition of a daily flight to San Francisco.
• Service from Calgary will increase with six additional weekly flights to Toronto, and the addition of a once-daily flight to both Winnipeg and Regina.
• Service from Edmonton to Kelowna will increase by 12 weekly flights and by one additional weekly flight to Las Vegas.
• Service from Kelowna to Winnipeg will increase by one weekly flight for a total of four times weekly.
• Extension of existing winter service increases through the summer, including six daily flights between Vancouver and Kelowna, and five daily flights from Vancouver to Prince George.