The planned 2017 Presidential Inauguration Festivities in Washington, DC are scheduled for January 20, 2017. At the request of the Department of Homeland Security and as part of the airspace security measures for the event, the FAA will be modifying the Washington Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) and Washington Metropolitan Flight Restriction Zone (FRZ) with additional flight restrictions between 0900 Local and 1900 Local on January 20th.
Pursuant to 49 USC 40103(B), The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) classifies the airspace defined in these NOTAMs as “National Defense Airspace”. Any person who knowingly or willfully violates the rules concerning operations in this airspace may be subject to certain criminal penalties under 49 USC 46307. Pilots who do not adhere to the following procedures may be intercepted, detained and interviewed by Law Enforcement/Security Personnel.
Any of the following additional actions may also be taken against a pilot who does not comply with the requirements or any special instructions or procedures announced in this NOTAM:
A) The FAA may take administrative action, including imposing civil penalties and the suspension or revocation of airmen certificates; or
B) the United States government may pursue criminal charges, including charges under Title 49 of the United States Code, Section 46307; or
C) the United States government may use deadly force against the airborne aircraft, if it is determined that the aircraft poses an imminent security threat.
The following restrictions will apply:
Washington DC SFRA Restrictions: The DC SFRA is that area of airspace over the surface of the earth where the ready identification, location, and control of aircraft is required in the interest of national security. Specifically, the DC SFRA is that airspace, from the surface up to but not including FL180, within a 30 NM radius of 385134N/0770211W or the DCA VOR/DME.
1. Only authorized DOD and Law Enforcement/Air Ambulance operations are permitted within the DC SFRA with prior coordination and approval from the Air Security Operations Center (ASOC) at 866-598-9524.
2. Part 135 and General Aviation aircraft on an active IFR flight plan may arrive and/ or depart Dulles International Airport (IAD), Baltimore Washington International Airport (BWI) and Manassas Regional/Davis Airport (HEF) only.
3. Only authorized CFR Part 121 and CFR Part 129 regularly scheduled commercial passenger and all-cargo flights that MEET OR EXCEED the Transportation Security Administration approved Aircraft Operator Standard Security Program
(AOSSP), Full All-Cargo Aircraft Operator Standard Security Program
(FACAOSSP), Twelve-Five Standard Security Program (TFSSP) All Cargo, Model Security Program (MSP) or All-Cargo International Security Procedure
(ACISP) and DOS Foreign Aircraft issued a diplomatic clearance are authorized to operate within the DC SFRA.
4. No General Aviation IFR/VFR flights will be authorized to transit through the DC SFRA.
5. The provisions of 14 CFR 93.345 regarding egress procedures for the following airports are suspended during the time of this NOTAM:
A. Barnes (MD47)
B. Flying M Farms (MD77)
C. Mountain Road (MD43)
D. Robinson (MD14) E. Skyview (51VA)
6. The provisions 14 CFR Part 93.339 regarding VFR traffic pattern operations at SFRA airports are suspended during the time of this NOTAM.
7. The provisions of FDC NOTAM 6/7215, ingress/egress procedures for Leesburg (JYO) in Virginia are suspended during the time of this NOTAM.
Washington DC FRZ Restrictions: From the surface up to but not including FL180 beginning at the Washington /DCA/ VOR/DME 311 degree radial at 15NM 385931N/0771830W, thence clockwise along the DCA 15NM arc to the DCA 002 degree radial at 15NM 390628N/0770432W, thence southeast via a line drawn to the DCA 049 degree radial at 14NM 390218N/0765038W, thence south via a line drawn to the DCA 064 degree radial at 13NM 385901N/0764832W, thence clockwise along the 13NM arc to the DCA 276 degree radial at 13NM 385053N/0771848W, thence north to the point of beginning, excluding the airspace within a 1NM radius of Freeway Airport /W00/ Mitchellville, MD. The FRZ is within and part of the Washington SFRA.
1. Only authorized DOD and Law Enforcement/ Air Ambulance operations are permitted within the FRZ with prior coordination and approval from the Air Security Operations Center (ASOC) at 866-598-9524.Coordination not accepted more than 48 hours in advance of the NOTAM effective time.
2. ALL aircraft MUST coordinate with and receive approval from the Air Security
Operations Center (ASOC) at 866-598-9524 prior to arriving and/or departing from Andrews AFB (ADW) or Davison Army Airfield (DAA). A PPR does not authorize entry into the FRZ.
3. Only authorized CFR Part 121 and Part 129 regularly scheduled commercial passenger carriers operating into and out of Washington Reagan National Airport (DCA) operating under the Transportation Security Administration Aircraft Operator Standard Security Program (AOSSP) or Model Security Program (MSP) are authorized to operate in the DC FRZ.
4. Foreign aircraft issued a Department of State diplomatic clearance are authorized to operate into and out of Andrews AFB (KADW) ONLY.
5. The provisions of FDC NOTAM 6/7196 and 14 CFR Part 93, pertaining to the Maryland 3 airports known as Washington Executive Airport/Hyde Field (W32), Potomac Airfield (VKX) and College Park Airport (CGS), are suspended during the time of this NOTAM.
In Addition, aircraft receiving authorization to operate within the SFRA/FRZ shall be required to:
1. Be on an active IFR flight plan. Locally based operators with a Potomac TRACON pre-assigned beacon code may operate VFR.
2. Have a discrete transponder code assigned by ATC.
3. Remain in continuous two-way communications with ATC.
Flight training, aerobatic flight, practice instrument approaches, glider operations, parachute operations, ultra-light, hang gliding, balloon operations, tethered balloons, agriculture/crop dusting, animal population control flight operations, banner towing operations, maintenance test flights, model aircraft operations, model rocketry, float plane operations, unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and aircraft/helicopters operating from a ship or private/corporate yacht.
All flight waivers to operate within the SFRA/FRZ will be temporarily suspended during the time of this NOTAM, except waivers beginning with ELO, GOV or SPO.
The NOTAM discussed in this advisory may change with little or no notice. Pilots are advised to check NOTAMs frequently for possible changes prior to operations in the area. Pilots are strongly advised to contact a Flight Service Station at 1-800-WXBRIEF (1-800-992-7433) prior to flight to check for all current NOTAMS.