US travel to overseas markets totaled 2.5 million, up four percent in October and seven percent for the year (29.6 million).
Regional results for the month were as follows:
• Europe, 1,055,000 travelers, up eight percent
• Asia, 488,000 travelers, up 10 percent
• Caribbean, 452,000 travelers, down five percent
• Central America, 161,000 travelers, up two percent
• Middle East, 148,000 travelers, down four percent
• South America, 132,000 travelers, down five percent
• Oceania, 56,000 travelers, up 11 percent
• Africa, 25,000 travelers, flat
US travel to other North American markets totaled 3.5 million and was up 15 percent compared to October 2015. Travel to Canada and Mexico for the year (37.4 million) was up 10 percent.
• Mexico, 2.5 million travelers, up 17 percent in October.
Border ‘1+’ night travel up 23 percent. Tourist (longer haul) travel up 11 percent. Air travel (587,000) was up eight percent.
• Canada, 1.0 million travelers, up 11 percent. Air travel (357,000) up 20 percent
October 2016 YTD Market Share
US travel to overseas locations accounted for 44 percent of US outbound international travel.
o Europe, a 18 percent share;
o Caribbean, an 10 percent share;
o Asia, a seven percent share;
o Central America, a four percent share;
o Middle East, a three percent share;
o South America, a three percent share;
o Oceania, a one percent share, and
o Africa, almost one percent share
North American markets received 56 percent of all US international outbound travel.
o U.S. travel to Mexico a 38 percent share; and
o Canada an 18 percent share.