Read us | Listen to us | Watch us | Join Live Events | Turn Off Ads | Live |

Click on your language to translate this article:

Afrikaans Afrikaans Albanian Albanian Amharic Amharic Arabic Arabic Armenian Armenian Azerbaijani Azerbaijani Basque Basque Belarusian Belarusian Bengali Bengali Bosnian Bosnian Bulgarian Bulgarian Catalan Catalan Cebuano Cebuano Chichewa Chichewa Chinese (Simplified) Chinese (Simplified) Chinese (Traditional) Chinese (Traditional) Corsican Corsican Croatian Croatian Czech Czech Danish Danish Dutch Dutch English English Esperanto Esperanto Estonian Estonian Filipino Filipino Finnish Finnish French French Frisian Frisian Galician Galician Georgian Georgian German German Greek Greek Gujarati Gujarati Haitian Creole Haitian Creole Hausa Hausa Hawaiian Hawaiian Hebrew Hebrew Hindi Hindi Hmong Hmong Hungarian Hungarian Icelandic Icelandic Igbo Igbo Indonesian Indonesian Irish Irish Italian Italian Japanese Japanese Javanese Javanese Kannada Kannada Kazakh Kazakh Khmer Khmer Korean Korean Kurdish (Kurmanji) Kurdish (Kurmanji) Kyrgyz Kyrgyz Lao Lao Latin Latin Latvian Latvian Lithuanian Lithuanian Luxembourgish Luxembourgish Macedonian Macedonian Malagasy Malagasy Malay Malay Malayalam Malayalam Maltese Maltese Maori Maori Marathi Marathi Mongolian Mongolian Myanmar (Burmese) Myanmar (Burmese) Nepali Nepali Norwegian Norwegian Pashto Pashto Persian Persian Polish Polish Portuguese Portuguese Punjabi Punjabi Romanian Romanian Russian Russian Samoan Samoan Scottish Gaelic Scottish Gaelic Serbian Serbian Sesotho Sesotho Shona Shona Sindhi Sindhi Sinhala Sinhala Slovak Slovak Slovenian Slovenian Somali Somali Spanish Spanish Sudanese Sudanese Swahili Swahili Swedish Swedish Tajik Tajik Tamil Tamil Telugu Telugu Thai Thai Turkish Turkish Ukrainian Ukrainian Urdu Urdu Uzbek Uzbek Vietnamese Vietnamese Welsh Welsh Xhosa Xhosa Yiddish Yiddish Yoruba Yoruba Zulu Zulu

Afriqiyah Airways hijacking over, passengers released

All passengers and crew have been released from the Afriqiyah Airways Airbus A320 in Malta, after hijackers from the pro-Gaddafi group Al Fatah Al Gadida surrendered and exited the Libyan plane.

All passengers and crew have been released from the Afriqiyah Airways Airbus A320 in Malta, after hijackers from the pro-Gaddafi group Al Fatah Al Gadida surrendered and exited the Libyan plane.

“Hijackers surrendered, searched and taken in custody,” tweeted Maltese Prime Minister Joseph Muscat after a protracted hostage situation.

It’s understood the plane was making an internal flight in Libya from Sebha to Tripoli before it was diverted to Malta International Airport, where it landed at 11.30 am local time. Armed soldiers then surrounded it on the runway.

Maltese Prime Minister Joseph Muscat confirmed in a series of tweets the gradual release of the 118 passengers and crew from the plane, before the pair eventually surrendered almost four hours later.

Described as “pro-Gaddafi,” the hijackers are believed to be in their mid-20s, from the Tebu ethnic group, which is present in southern Libya, according to Libyan MP Hadi al-Saghir who spoke to Reuters. Arabic news site Alwasat have named the hijackers as Mousa Shaha and Ahmed Ali.

It’s understood the pair were in possession of an unspecified number of grenades and threatened to blow up the plane if their demands were not met.

One of the hijackers claims to be a leader of a “pro-Gaddafi party,” according to Libyan TV. Earlier, Al-Saghir told reporters the pair were demanding the creation of such a party.

The mayor of Sabha, Colonel Hamed al-Khayali, told the BBC that the hijackers were seeking political asylum in Malta.

“The pilot reported to the control tower in Tripoli that they were being hijacked, then they lost communication with him,” a security official from Mitiga airport in Libya told Reuters. “The pilot tried very hard to have them land at the correct destination but they refused.”

“Informed of potential hijack situation of a Libya internal flight diverted to Malta. Security and emergency operations standing by,” Muscat tweeted earlier on Friday, adding in a second tweet that “security and emergency services [are] coordinating operations”

The prime minister also confirmed that there were 111 passengers on board, 82 males, 28 females and one infant, plus seven crew.

Airport authorities in Malta described the incident as an “unlawful interference” and, with “operations” now returning to normal.

Malta’s President Marie-Louise Coleiro tweeted to appeal “for everyone to remain calm and follow official updates” as the situation unfolded.

Opposition party leader Simon Busuttil, described the incident as a “grave concern.”

“My full cooperation to Govt to protect Malta security and the safety of passengers,” he wrote.