ST. PETERSBURG, FL – The travel insurance comparison site Squaremouth released data highlighting notable trends among Americans traveling this summer.
Where are Americans traveling this summer?
• 70% jump in travel to Canada in light of European terrorism
• Alternative European destinations grow, with notable increase in travel to Iceland, Norway
• 48% rise in summer travel to Zika-free Bahamas
• Decrease in travel to some Caribbean destinations, including Aruba, Bermuda, US Virgin Islands
Most Popular International Destinations for Summer 2016
1. Canada (+70%)
2. Italy (+13%)
3. Mexico (+18%)
4. United Kingdom (+25%)
5. France (+19%)
Includes percentage change in total travelers over the previous year
What are travelers concerned about this summer?
• 66% more travelers searching for hurricane coverage for trips this summer, particularly for Bahamas, Mexico
• 154% increase in number of customers searching for terrorism coverage
• Top European travel destinations see spike in terrorism searches
Who is traveling this summer?
• 36% of Squaremouth customers traveling this summer are baby boomers
• 57% increase in customers over 70 buying travel insurance for summer trips in 2016
• Canada replaces Italy as the top international destination for travelers 65+
• France falls out of the top 5 international destinations for travelers under 50
How much are Americans spending on summer travel?
• Average spending on trips to top international destinations has decreased slightly
• On average, Americans are spending $2,539 per person to travel this summer
• The average total cost of a summer trip is $8,930, an increase of 3.6% over last summer