CHICAGO, IL – United Airlines is continuing the expansion of its “United Private Screening” in-flight entertainment with the launch of free personal device entertainment on two-cabin United Express regional jets; expanded HBO programming; and exclusively curated content from Vevo, the world’s leading all-premium music video and entertainment platform.
United currently has one of the largest offerings of free streaming entertainment – already on more than 200 United aircraft – with scores of television shows and movies available for streaming directly to travelers’ laptop computers and iOS and Android mobile devices.
Customers on flights with personal device entertainment may enjoy popular films like “Birdman,” “The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel” and the “Taken” trilogy, as well as kid-friendly favorites such as “Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day” and “The LEGO Movie.” Hours of popular television shows are also available and may include HBO’s “Veep” and “The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst,” as well as “Mad Men,” “Orange is the New Black” and other hit shows.
“Whether they travel for business or pleasure, we’re designing United Private Screening to ensure our customers have access to content that is entertaining, interesting, wide-ranging and relaxing,” said Scott Wilson, United’s vice president of merchandising and eCommerce. “Our ongoing expansion of personal device entertainment and the additional HBO and Vevo content provide our customers more in-flight entertainment choices than ever before.”
Regional Jet Entertainment and Onboard Experience
United has begun rolling out personal device entertainment on its fleet of more than 120 Wi-Fi-equipped E170, E175 and CRJ700 regional jets, with more than half of these aircraft now offering free streaming entertainment. The airline plans to offer the service on all Wi-Fi-equipped regional jets by the end of next week.
The launch of personal device entertainment on regional jets follows United’s introduction this year of an all-new premium-cabin experience on United Express, featuring freshly prepared meals served on chinaware on regional jet flights of at least 800 miles.
Expanded HBO Content
Additionally, the airline has expanded HBO content on aircraft that offer personal device entertainment as well as on those with seatback on-demand entertainment. Available HBO entertainment includes full seasons of popular television shows such as “Entourage,” “Game of Thrones” and “True Detective.”
Videos and Concert Entertainment from Vevo
United has also joined with Vevo to offer hundreds of music videos and concert performances for customers to view at no charge on United aircraft offering personal device entertainment. Vevo content is also available through seatback on-demand entertainment.
Tribeca Film Festival
Meanwhile, United is in its second year as the official airline of the Tribeca Film Festival. Flights with live television, seatback on-demand entertainment and personal device entertainment offer unique in-flight content curated by Tribeca, including independent feature narratives and documentaries as well as short films.
This summer, United also launched a pilot program offering tablets for rent on Boeing 777 flights between the continental United States and Honolulu and between Honolulu and Guam. The 8.4-inch tablets contain stored entertainment, including television shows, movies and games.
In-flight Entertainment Availability
United aircraft offer several in-flight entertainment options, with Wi-Fi also available on 85 percent of mainline aircraft and regional jets receiving the technology. In addition:
• United plans to install personal device entertainment on more than 650 mainline and regional aircraft, including its intercontinental fleet;
• The airline operates more than 200 intercontinental and p.s. Premium Service aircraft with seatback on-demand entertainment; and
• Another 227 mainline aircraft offer live television, more than any other airline in the world.
Customers may learn before departure which entertainment option will be available by checking their flight status at united.com or via the United mobile app.
Customer Experience Investment
United’s in-flight entertainment is part of the company’s investment in every aspect of its customers’ travel experience. Along with improvements to United Private Screening, the company has:
• Revamped many of its largest airport terminals – including in Chicago, Houston, New York/Newark, San Francisco, Boston and London – to provide travelers an improved experience from the curb to the departure gate, with new and clearer signs, new restaurants and modern gate areas with power outlets throughout;
• Debuted an all-new complimentary food menu for United Clubs, with customers currently enjoying the new fresh and healthy options at nearly two dozen United Clubs at the airline’s continental U.S. hubs, and plans to expand the menu to other locations worldwide;
• Partnered with Cowshed Spa, the premium spa and lifestyle brand of London-based Soho House & Co., to bring its products onboard premium cabins on intercontinental flights and to more than a dozen United airport lounges worldwide;
• Launched significantly upgraded food and beverage service – including multi-course meals, complimentary beer and wine and a new option to purchase premium snacks – for customers in United Economy on many intercontinental flights; and
• Introduced new fresh-food menu items for sale in United Economy through the airline’s Choice Menu Bistro on Board, including dishes developed in collaboration with The Trotter Project.