WASHINGTON, DC – US citizen outbound totaled 6.3 million travelers for the month and 27.2 million YTD.
Year-to-Date Travel up Six Percent
May 2015/2014 Comparisons
U.S. travel to overseas markets(1) totaled 3.0 million, up almost four percent in May and up five percent for the year. Regional results were:
• Europe, 1,340,000 travelers, up three percent
• Caribbean, 648,000 travelers, up four percent
• Asia, 410,000 travelers, up eight percent
• Central America, 207,000 travelers, down one percent
• Middle East, 182,000 travelers, up 12 percent
• South America, 146,000 travelers, up one percent
• Oceania, 45,000 travelers, down three percent
• Africa, 32,000 travelers, down 12 percent
U.S. travel to other North American markets totaled 3.31 million, up six percent compared to May 2014.
• Mexico, 2.24 million U.S. travelers, up six percent; air travel (648,000) up 12 percent. U.S. to Mexican border traffic (within 40 kilometers) was flat.
• Canada, 1.07 million travelers, up eight percent; air travel (311,000) up six percent
Travel to Canada and Mexico was up seven percent for the year.
May 2015 YTD Market Share
U.S. travel to overseas locations accounted for 46 percent of U.S. outbound international travel.
• Europe, a 15 percent share;
• Caribbean, a 12 percent share;
• Asia, a seven percent share;
• Middle East, a three percent share;
• Central America, a four percent share;
• South America, a three percent share;
• Oceania, a one percent share, and
• Africa, almost a one percent share
North American markets received 54 percent of all U.S. international outbound travel.
• U.S. travel to Mexico a 42 percent share; and
• Canada a 12 percent share.
(Note: Easter/Passover occurred April 5 this year vs. April 20, 2014)